Thursday, November 25, 2010

SF2LA 1st day report

Wow, 132 miles.... never done so much in my life and tomorrow I will have to repeat...and again ... and again.... umh.... I really hope tonight my legs will restore all the good stuff there where full of this past morning :-P.


Quick recap in pics/video:


Woke up at 6.00 am to get as much daylight as possible... and like my brother would say... I got to wear the "parcheggiatore" style clothes.

After 40 miles I had to stop for a bathroom in the wild break, drink and eat some disgusting GU candies. But the view was phenomenal

No comment on this one.

After 30 miles... I started pushing a little, needed lunch and Santa Cruz was close:




Too bad I felt a little anxious about not making in time ( before the sunset ) I ate this big fella in few seconds and jumped back on the bike.... realized after that I needed some digestion time and took me the next coffee break to help my body metabolize all that.


Now this pic has it all.... from left... my lady, my leg, my small hyper compressed backpack ( heavy as hell ), my helmet and all the other gay accessories with it, a massive slice of banana bread, vitamin water and my immensely hot yet enjoyable coffee. ( This was after 108 miles... and from there I thought I was CLOSE.



this was one of the non very nice sight of my last 30 miles.... understanding that I am still 330 from LA it is a hit at the end of a day like this


Made at 4.30pm after 8 hours on the bike ( 7h20 effective ). 132 miles, enough joy to keep myself alive and willing to walk around Carmen.... too bad I had to walk 3 miles to get to see the best sunset ever on the Carmel sand beach... and I would say ... to bad my only partner is a carbon evil machine ... this could have been a romantic one!



thank god I found a good sushi place and indulged into what I hope it is going to be my fuel for tomorrow!

Before leaving... 3 things I learned today:

- Never play with the iphone when riding.... I almost hit a car that was parked on the side of the road....

- Never walk on mudd with biking shoes..... you might end up wasting 10 minutes to free the cleats from all that and be able to clip them back... ( I was going uphill... i hated myself for few minutes )

- Going 100+ hurts.... no matter how fast you go

Good night

V.








2 comments:

Nefer Lopez said...

I remember when me and Dave decided to ignore a detour and take our bikes on a mud road. BAD IDEA. Like you, I hated myself...but for 30 minutes. It SUCKED!

PS...your ass will hate you tomorrow.

Big Sur tomorrow!!!

mammozza said...

buon viaggio mio pazzo gioiello che ti accompagni sempre la fortuna, la forza e anche se a tanta distanza da te il mio amore!!!